From the Norman word gale, which means “flat cake”, Galette is a French term that describes various kinds of flat round or freeform crusty cakes. Or, in the case Breton galette (French]: Galette Bretonne[galet]; Breton]), a pancake made of buckwheat flour and usually topped with a savory topping. Galette des Rois, a galette (King cake), is one of the most popular types of galette. It is eaten on Epiphany day. Galette is a French term for pastries that are larger than cookies.
Galette is similar to a traditional fruit pie, but it has a free-form crust rolled out and not baked in a pie pan. Roll out the dough and place the fillings in the center. Then fold in the edges. You can make the dough into a rough shape, such as a circle or oval. However, it doesn’t need to be perfect. This is part of the rustic charm that makes the Galette so unique.
Galettes made from fruit are a great way of using up seasonal produce. Our recipe for a peach galette combines brown sugar and bourbon with the sweet, spicy flavor of candied ginger.
Bourbon Marinated Peach and Candied Ginger Galette recipe
Serves: 6 – 8
Total Time: 90 minutes
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 3 Tbsp. 3 Tbsp.
- 2 Tbsp. 2 Tbsp.
- 2 Tbsp. hazelnut oil or walnut oil
- 1/2 tsp. Ground cardamom
- Kosher salt
- 2/3 ripe peaches, cut into 1/3″ slices
- 1 tsp. 1 tsp. Chopped thyme leaves, small leaves or sprigs for garnish (optional).
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pie crust
- 1 Tbsp. chopped candied ginger
- Sanding sugar
- 2 Tbsp. 2 Tbsp.
- Combine the brown sugar, bourbon and oil in a small saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Salt.
- Heat the mixture on medium heat until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Place the chopped thyme and peach slices in a large bowl.
- Let them marinate at room temperature for up to 30 minutes or in the fridge for up to 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- After refrigerating the tart, could you return it to room temperature?
- Place a rack in the center of the oven. Heat oven to 375°F.
- Combine the egg and 2 teaspoons. Water.
- Place a piece of parchment on your work surface. The dough should be approximately 13 inches in diameter.
- Remove the peaches from the marinade and let them dry.
- Place the peaches in the middle of the dough, leaving a border of 2 inches. Sprinkle the chopped ginger.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle and press at the seams. Brush the top of the crust lightly with the egg wash.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then sprinkle with the sanding powder. Rotate the pan and bake another 15 minutes. Finally, place a pie guard over the crust. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the center bubbles.
- Take out of the oven. Sprinkle the butter with some sanding sugar.
- Allow cooling on a rack for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperatures with chopped thyme leaves.